Monday, February 4, 2013

My thoughts on LDS women and depression

There have been many reports and studies showing that there are higher rates of depression in Utah, and that Utah has the highest consumption rate of anti depressants in the US, per capita.  I'm not writing here to debate statistics, I don't need a study, or a series of studies to tell me what I can observe, and what I have seen in my own life.

I had an epiphany the other day as I was thinking of all of the women in the church, overwhelmed with sadness and inadequacy.  I remembered from my child psychology courses in college, that developing children react in one of two ways to unpleasant circumstances.  They either become angry or sad.  In a child, the anger response is much more healthy, it means that they are focusing the blame for the circumstances on external circumstances.  Sadness indicates that the child is internalizing the unpleasantness and seeing the goal as impossible and failure as inevitable.  It is healthy, as children grow and learn, to internalize some failures, in order to learn to take responsibility for one's actions and make adjustments to achieve success.  Healthy adults recognize that success and failure is due to a combination of external forces and personal choices.  Some things we can control, and some we cannot.  Demands put on us by others, especially unreasonable demands contribute to an atmosphere of hopelessness and sadness.

I have been thinking this over a great deal since discovering that the church of my youth is based on a foundation of lies and flawed doctrine.   Faithful members of the Mormon church are taught each week in church about the many things they should be accomplishing in order to achieve exaltation.  An impossible list develops of things we must be doing, should be doing, could be doing, and are expected to do.  I decided to make lists of the things expected of me post Mormonism and during Mormonism.    They are very eye opening lists; the latter is by no means comprehensive, it's just a quick list that popped into my head while writing.

Post Mormonism

  • Try to treat others with kindness, respect, and tolerance
  • Household chores
  • Plan and prepare meals
  • Attend to the needs of my children
  • Spend time with my family
  • Spend time with my husband and enjoy his company
  • Enjoy my friendships
  • Develop hobbies
  • Look for opportunities to serve others


During Mormonism

  • Get married to a returned missionary in the temple
  • Have babies
  • Stay home and take care of the babies
  • Don't put off children for education
  • Get an education, especially my husband
  • Avoid contention in the home
  • Personal scripture study
  • Personal prayer
  • Couple's scripture study
  • Couple's prayer
  • Attend church every Sunday
  • Attend weekday activities
  • Get my boys to scouts each week
  • Pay 10% tithing
  • Study my Relief Society and Sunday School lessons ahead of time
  • Accept a calling and magnify them (in my case, three callings)
  • Obey my husband as he obeys God
  • Family scripture study every day
  • Hold Family Home Evening every Monday
  • Family prayer twice a day
  • Family council
  • Genealogy
  • Attend the temple regularly
  • Make sure church clothes are ready each Sunday
  • Teach my children the gospel
  • Visit teach 4 women each month
  • Maintain and rotate a year's supply of food
  • Learn to use my food storage
  • Support my husband in his calling
  • Participate in service projects
  • Have my children baptized
  • Prepare my sons for missions
  • Help clean the church building
  • Sign up for initiatories and sealings at the temple
  • Keep a journal
  • Do missionary work / share the gospel
  • Attend social events such as ward dinners and activities
After leaving the church, most of the items on the second list disappeared.  I realized that most of them are not important.  Women in the church are great at looking amazing on the outside, while falling apart on the inside.   Our marriage is certainly much happier than it was before.  For one thing, we discovered that each of us is quite happy with the other, just as we are.  When we were active in the LDS church, we each expected the other to conform to a set of ideals.  These ideals were coming from outside our marriage, not from within.  Once we let go of those expectations, our marriage was instantly transformed.  Honestly, overnight, transformed.  Never before had we such peace and contentment between us.  This has continued for the entire six months we have been out of the church.

My personal belief, and it's a theory I would be willing to test, is that women in the church feel unhappy, unworthy, and unable to be all that they are supposed to be.  These demands all come from external sources, and yet women in the church feel a deep sense of sadness because they are unable to be all and do all.  They feel, and are taught that if they just had more faith, if they were more diligent at reading scriptures, saying prayers, and completing all of the items on the second list above, that they could then attain happiness.    Each Sunday, I would sit in my meetings listening to a lesson or sermon on a topic such as family scripture study, or contention in the home.  Each Sunday, I would leave church feeling as though I'm just not doing enough, even though I was running ragged trying to do it all.  I was filled, all to frequently with a tremendous burden of guilt, at not being the wife, mother, woman, sister, and church member that I should be.  I cannot remember a single time, at church, where I sat in the service thinking, "Yes, awesome!  I am doing all of that stuff just right!"  Never, not once.

 The ironic thing is that the LDS church is supposed to be the one true path to happiness.

Women in the church do not get angry at the leaders outside themselves who are imposing these expectations.  After all, it is a sin to criticize your leaders, even if you believe they are wrong.  Instead, they turn inward, fill their hearts with guilt, and blame themselves for not being strong enough to do it all.  Anger would be a much more healthy response.  Stand up!  Speak!  Yell!  No!!  I will not take another calling.  I don't want to read my scriptures every day, I don't believe in having to go to the temple on a frequent basis.  I won't do it all!  I want to spend time with my family, not doing church things.  I'm good enough just the way I am!  I'm amazing, dammit, stop telling me that I'm not!

When I left it all behind, I have found a more consistent happiness and joy than ever before in my life.  What I was told would make me happy was, in fact, creating misery.


15 comments:

  1. A local daytime show (Studio 5) has a theme this month, "Live Without Pretending."One of the things that was mentioned is that women in Utah feel the pressure to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I feel worn out and anxious after just reading that second list. I think the nasty inversions here play a part as well. It's grey, cloudy, and dreary for days on end. It makes a lot of us feel crappy and we can't breathe very well because of all the crap in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good list pinky!

    The interesting thing about this list is so much of it is busy work that doesn't contribute to society or help anyone.

    Here's a couple of other things I think are big factors:

    1) D&C 82: 7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.

    This means that repentance is meaningless unless you are perfect. If you make a mistake all of your previous mistakes come crashing back. Talk about a hopeless approach.

    2) The worry about getting to the Celestial Kingdom. You never know if you have done enough and will be enough. There is always a lot of doubt if you are good enough. Once you are feeling down you feel pretty sure you won't be. Even if you feel good enough for yourself you worry that you aren't a good enough Mom to get your kids to the Celestial Kingdom - if you had just read scriptures a little more often maybe they would have made it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really great points, Brian! The guilt just never ends. There are always more ways that you just don't measure up. And it's eternal salvation we are speaking of, not going over budget on your grocery bill.

      Delete
  4. Hey Pink, I saw your link on Facebook and had to say Hi! I just wanted to say how brave it was for you to post this. I stopped going to church almost 8 years ago and have not regretted it but I haven't talked about it either with anyone, I just stopped going. At the time, I had just had my 4th baby, my husband had decided a few years before that he no longer was going to go to church. I had a calling in YW that I enjoyed but I still dreaded going to church every Sunday. I would come home and cry my eyes out because I was a complete failure. No matter how much I prayed and did what I was suppose to, my husband wouldn't go to church, I was asked over and over of what we could do to get him to come back. I was tired and overwhelmed with all the things that I should/needed to do but didn't get done. I felt the weight of the responsibility of not letting our kids go down the wrong path on my shoulders and was reminded every week that as long as I was doing what I was suppose to do that they wouldn't stray...yet I couldn't do all of those things. The last time I went to church, I came home, went to my room, knelt down and cried and prayed to God, I laid it out and for the first time it seemed like in forever I felt complete comfort in my decision to not go back. I still have friends that invite me to come back and ask what they could do to bring me back but I don't think I could ever go back. I feel free to love God, my family, my life without the guilt. A couple of my kids are interested in church but more out of curiosity, I answer questions when asked but without the guilt of believe or your bad. This past week I'm reminded that this was a good decision for my family. I have a 13 year old daughter that has talked about never wanting to get married or have kids, she wants to be a famous writer, hang out with friends, have boyfriends but doesn't want the life of wife and mother. I can't imagine that desire being stomped down if she were at church, or being told that her desires are wrong and won't bring her happiness if she lives that way. She's an amazing and gifted girl and I'm glad that she won't know what it's like to have a religion stomp on her dreams for her life.

    Anyway, this is totally long winded but I just wanted to say "HI!" and it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristin, thanks for your beautiful message. I'm so happy to hear that your daughter will have a life wide open to possibilities of her choosing. I know what it feels like to be free after having been oppressed. I pictured myself facing a life like you were, trying to be a faithful wife with a non-believing husband. I am so happy that I could find the truth for myself as well. You are so not alone, my friend! Cheers!!

      Delete
  5. Have you seen this?
    http://packham.n4m.org/prozac.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog. I remember being newly temple married sitting in relief society and just not wanting to fit in the tiny box they have created for women. I tried really hard to fit. Square peg, round hole. I tried doing scripture reading, prayer, FHE the whole nine yards. Poor Randy had just gotten off his mission and was done with all that. Plus, started questioning in secret. Finally to save our marriage I stopped trying to have a perfect marriage like Lydia Steed in W&G. Then I started to question. Once we were out, it was the best relief in the world. Keep up the good job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi, I had no idea you felt this way. I can't disagree more with your comments, but that is why we are given free agency.

    Good Luck with your life!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, what a disheartening response. IMHO, it came across as passive-aggressive and in no way did I feel any love or support or semblance of understanding or tenderness. And the sign off, "Good Luck with your life!" is something I could never imagine our Savior saying to someone, even if he had differing thoughts on what was expressed. So many of us (in and out of the church) have different viewpoints, thoughts and feelings, as well as being on different personal journeys. Should we not embrace each other? Should we not extend tenderness and empathy, respect and brotherly, Christlike love...especially when someone is honest and courageous enough to express their feelings (regardless of our own personal beliefs)? I would hope so, ESPECIALLY within the gospel. It is how we stand together as friends, family, brothers and sisters, and how we perpetuate a spirit of love, inclusion (avoiding the "us versus them" mentality) and how we create a place of safety for all. If we shun people or shut them out because they don't fit what we perceive as "right," we alienate each other and lose that sense of love and friendship and what a tragedy that is.
      Pinkhedgehog, thank-you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Many LDS women struggle with many of the things you wrote, and it is so good to know they are not alone. All my best to you! :) <3

      Delete
  8. I had a neighbor just tell me she got off Facebook back in the Fall because she felt like such a loser in comparison to every one else. It fueled her depression and she started seeing a counselor. I think the pressure to be perfect is debilitating, which is why I took myself out of the race a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´ve being through a severe depression... After lots of therapy, my Therapist asked me when and where I felt more uncomfortable, tired, depressed... I couldn´t believe my own words but I just said: when I´m in the Church... I´m 30 and I´m single... outside I´m a single woman who works, study, help others, help family, love people.... in the Church I´m just "the poor girl who don´t get a husband", nothing more... sad but true...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a depressed Mormon. I would like to point out two things. One is that I was depressed before I even knew about the church, so the church didn't cause it. In fact, its doctrines gave me much needed hope. They can't cure my depression, but I have help getting through the day when I think of the Savior's promises to us. For many years I struggled with depression before I even became a member. I do agree that there is a lot of culture among church members that can fuel depression, but these are not necessarily doctrinal practices, but traditions in thinking amongst members. Some are good and some are not healthy. This goes for any type of culture. The second thing I'd like to point out is that your statement about Utah having a higher rate of women taking antidepressants is true. I recently read a study about that as well. The problem is assuming that more members are depressed than non members. The study points out that there is a higher rate of members who take antidepressants not that there are more depressed members. The study attributed this to the fact that more members take antidepressants because more of them are likely to turn to proper healing channels (prescription medications) for being treated rather than turning to alcohol and drugs. It also helps that the church is a strong supporter of healing mental illness and does a lot to help people be enlightened and diagnosed about their condition. The church even has professional counseling services with licensed therapists for those who suffer from depression and other mental illness. You make it seem as if depression is caused by external reasons (ie the list of "burdens" placed on members). So many people just don't understand that depression is a medical condition. When will people start to understand this and let go of outdated notions and social stigmas? That just perpetuates the problem. With all due respect. (sorry, I reposted to keep my name anonymous as I'm not ready to be open about my condition. social stigma and all...Hopefully soon)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I am an active LDS woman. I am just becoming aware of this issue. The issue of LDS ladies in the gospel. I have been thinking these thoughts and it was nice to hear someone else feel the same way. I am not one of the LDS ladies who feels that I can't say no or focuses on the long list. I am happy for what I can do and I know it's enough. I have a very strong personality and have no problem speaking up in church even if it goes against the grain. I can totally understand these views. It breaks my heart that women feel this way in the gospel. I have been reading blogs and researching a lot on this issue. I think the church should talk more about it. Even if it's a small % of ladies we should still address it. So many women in my ward are not happy with themselves and I do believe it's because of what was said here. I just want to clairify I do believe in the gospel but I can understand why people feel this way!

    ReplyDelete